Sunday, August 29, 2010

Travel Call!!!!

On Friday at about 12:18pm we received our travel call!! Sean is ready to come home!!!This was particularly auspicious as it was Sean's 1st birthday. I have to say, I remained fairly calm, possibly because I was in my office. Or more likely, because I was in my office, lots of noise and screaming and excitement would've caused my co-workers to come running, and then I wouldn't have gotten anything done. Well, I probably would've rudely shut my office door in their faces if need be (sorry guys) but I had to call my husband first!

The dilemma though, was that I knew Wade was at lunch with a co-worker, and I also knew that the first travel call was basically our East Coast office telling me that Sean was ready, and that I had to call the West Coast office to get details. I debated briefly calling the West Coast office before calling Wade so I'd have more information to give him, but then I nixed that idea. So I called Wade. He, like I was, tried very hard to keep it in check in the middle of a crowded restaurant. I said he should go back to lunch and I'd get more details and we'd talk later.

So I called the West Coast office and got a ton of information. Basically, we have 10 days to get our butts to Seoul. The first day there, we chill out, the second is our city tour, the third we pick up Sean (!!), the fourth we can chill and get adjusted, and the fifth day we come home. (Of course, we can stay longer to soak up our son's homeland, but I imagine I'll be ready to head home by then.)

I started pricing out flights using their recommended travel agency. Although I've gotten plenty of air fares myself on line, I figured that maybe I would want to let the experts handle this. I was extremely disheartened by the prices-- we're kind of getting screwed by the approaching Labor Day holiday. Grrrrr. In fact, if we were leaving in the middle of September, the fares would be about $600 cheaper, if you can believe that. One of the options we were looking at was $1500 cheaper than the others, but that requires stopovers in Tokyo and San Fran before heading back to NYC. With a 1 year old we just met?? I don't know... I suppose there is something to be said for being able to get out and stretch your legs a bit, but we'd be increasing the entire trip by how many hours? It's already a 14 hour flight! (Maybe 12 on the way back, actually, but still...) I think we're just going to suck it up and get the more expensive flight back that is the most direct. Besides, from everything I read the stewardesses on Korean Air (besides being stunningly beautiful) are extremely helpful with babies who are coming back to the States. We'll figure this out tomorrow and get everything booked. The itinerary we liked best leaves next Sunday. I thought I needed  a week to get my head together, but now I feel like I just want to go already!

1 comment:

Tomi said...

Congratulations! I found my way here from the Holt BB. Thanks for posting over there and hooray for your travel call! Sean is awesome! Looking forward to following your blog.