Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Another Step Closer...

You know, I take a break for a few days to regroup and recover from a hangover and a cold and then, whoosh! My life starts zooming by again.

We had our toddler shower on Saturday-- you know, open some gifts, play some beer pong, polish off a keg. This wasn't your average baby shower, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. (All the pics are here: I only put a handful--a large handful-- on Facebook) Thank you to everyone who was able to make it; I'm sorry I wasn't able to invite the entire world, all my Facebook friends, but there's only so much room in the house. People are just so excited about the adoption and really seem genuinely interested, the outpouring of love, support and goodwill we've received has been amazing. I wish everyone could've been there (and not just for the presents!)

Anyway, after getting our I600 approval notification on Friday (effective July 31) I noticed that there was an incorrect date on the form. So stupid. It's the expiration date for Wade's fingerprints-- it's listed that they expire in October 2010 while mine expire in October 2011. We just had them done last month, so obviously 2011 is the correct year. Such a stupid, stupid clerical error. So frustrating. We weren't sure if this would cause a problem or not, but I decided to call the National Visa Center today. In the meantime, Wade got back in touch with our USCIS officer about the typo.

I found out that Sean's case has been checked IN and OUT of the National Visa Center! That's another step done!! All the paperwork now gets sent to the embassy in Seoul. They will then issue instructions to our adoption agency, and a packet of information called the P3 will be sent back and forth (or something like that, it's such a long, drawn-out tedious process) and then Sean will be scheduled for his Visa Interview at the embassy. (It's a formality. They are not going to question a 1 year old about his political leanings and try to figure out if he's a terrorist or something.) After the Visa Interview, we get our travel call, and we're on our way!

Based on our agency's message board postings, there's a number in DC I can call to check and see when Sean's Visa Interview has been scheduled. I figured it was too soon, but I called anyway. It was too soon. The packet has been just sent, it hasn't even gotten to Korea yet. The nice woman on the phone told me this next part of the process could take a couple of weeks or a month. (But people posting on the message boards have much shorter time frames, so who knows?)

In the meantime, our USCIS officer got back to Wade and seemed upset about the date mix up and said it had to be fixed and she'd take care of it right away. Ok, but if it's such a problem, then how did we already clear the National Visa Center? And what sort of holdup is this now going to cause??

That's all I got for now. It's enough, no?

No comments: