Saturday, September 4, 2010

Have I Packed an Effing Thing? Nope.

We leave tomorrow. Tomorrow. In 24 hours from now, we should be one hour in to our flight to SFO. My brain wants me to start panicking. It wants to fill my blood with stress hormones and make me run around like a crazy bitch, throwing things in suitcases, screaming at everyone to get the hell out of my way and generally being miserable to everyone. And I keep feeling the urge welling up inside me, like a tiny Bubble of Nasty, but then it pops and I think, no, it's ok, we don't need to pack that much, it's really only 3 full days that don't involve travel, it will be fine, be cool, whatever we forget, we'll just buy there. Thank you, pharmaceutical industry!

I slept really great last night. (And for the Greek Chorus out there snickering that it will be my last night ever for that, to you I grandly say, "Go fuck yourselves.") You may very well be right. But I also know that my experiences are never the same as everyone tells me they're going to be, so we'll just wait and see. I took Chloe for a nice, long Zen Morning Walk at 6am and we watched the sky brighten and chased quite a few bunnies and squirrels away from their breakfasts. I thought that I likely wouldn't be taking her for her morning walk again until next Sunday. We also apparently ran into The Situation and a slightly preppier friend strolling down the middle of my otherwise silent street nowhere near the shore, smoking, and talking about some girls they met. The Sitch of Sayrewoods South looked as fresh and sparkling as if he had just gotten out of the shower and gotten cologned and dressed into his carefully ripped jeans and snug black Ed Hardy tee, which impressed me, because I assumed they must still have been up from last night. Chloe enthusiastically wagged her tail and I looked over to say hey, but they ignored us. And I thought, I wonder what the clueless, trendy assholes are going to be wearing when Sean is their age. I just pray that he's not one of them.

Wade is still sleeping. I know I have to start getting shit together, charging electronics, and packing for a person who I haven't even met yet. But I still just want to sit here at the computer a little longer, reveling in the peace and quiet and solitude that is sure to elude me for the next 17 years or so. 

The start of the adventure can wait another hour...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to see your prayers are prioritized...

Little Lesiw said...

This is awesome! ;)

You know, even if I'm given a week, I'm always packing up until the last minute, so I just chalk it up to me being a 'pressure player' ;)

I hope you do a ton of updating through out your trip!

(oh, and this is RachL from the boards)

AddledWriter said...

Good luck on your great adventure!