Thursday, May 29, 2008

That's Personal! (Data Information Form)

Today we received via email a "Personal Data Information Form" which each of us has to fill out. It's 16 pages long, and that's before I even wrote anything on it! It reads like a Blue Book exam from hell, with all the essay questions about yourself. I'm not worried about it in the sense that I think I'll have trouble filling it out--hmmm, I'm incredibly self-centered and an excellent writer... I mean, come on. It's just that I will find myself wondering what the "right" answers are to some of the questions. Except, there shouldn't be any "right" answers, since it's about you, your life, and your feelings. Still... the intro paragraph clearly warns you that everything you put must be "accurate and truthful" or it may result in your application being denied. I am pretty sure what is put on these forms will in large part create the basis for our home study. So I can't help but wonder what sorts of things a social worker would be looking for.

The form needs to be completed and returned with a bunch of other forms which I think are coming via snail mail. I have no idea what the other forms consist of. Also, this should signal that our personal reference forms will probably be mailed out-- so be on the lookout for them (you know who you are!)

Since I know your curiosity must be piqued by what exactly is on this form, I will give you some sample questions below. And no, I'm not giving you my answers.

  • Have you discussed your adoption plans with your extended family? What is their attitude towards adoption?
  • How do you plan to include the culture and traditions of the country you have chosen in your family life?

  • Briefly describe your parents' marital relationship while growing up. What would you do differently?

  • What do you feel was missing in your childhood?

  • Who was the most influential person in your life? What qualities did this person possess? (I can only suppose they mean real, not fictional people.)

  • Describe the things you like about your spouse.

  • In what ways would you bring up your child as you were raised? What would you do differently?

  • What types of discipline did your parents use? How effective were these disciplinary methods used by your parents. (I still think being sent to my room, with my cable tv, was a very effective method.)

  • What have been the most fulfilling accomplishments in your life? (Uhhh... sadly, "finishing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" is probably not the best answer. Even if it's true.)

  • Please share the religious faith and/or beliefs and values you hold most important and how you plan to pass them on to your child.

And so on... wish us luck!

No comments: